Saturday, April 5, 2008

Blog Changes

When I created our blog, I did so for two main reasons. First, I wanted to have a way to share news, pictures, and prayer requests from the missionfield with friends and family back home. God has called Missy and me to be missionaries, and along with that call He has given us a love for missions. That is why I have so many missionary links; I would encourage you to stop by their sites. Although we are not on the field yet, I know that it means a lot to missionaries to know that there are people back home who are following their ministry and, most importantly, praying for them. I also know that it is important for all of us to develop an interest and even a burden for foreign missions, and one good way to do that is by learning more about missionaries and their work.

My second reason for having a blog is because Missy and I both enjoy blogging as a hobby. You will no doubt see some of my interests (such as politics) as well as my mischievous (ask Br. Hight about that one) and humorous streaks showing up on my blog. On that note, I love polls and have posted one on our side panel to see if it draws any interest. Feel free to vote and also to give me some ideas for possible future polls.

I want our blog to be as interesting as possible, so I am asking for your help. Please give me some ideas of things or features that you like to see included on blogs, as well as things or features that you think should be excluded from blogs.

5 comments:

Jon Plank said...

I will look forward to your future posts from the mission field! Here is my 2¢ from a reader's perspective...

Most likely nobody needs to tell you to post family photos and info about your work there. In addition to this, what I find interesting are occasional "photo tours" of specific places where you will live, shop, eat out, travel, etc--a series of 6-10 pictures of something/someplace from everyday life. These things will become ordinary and uninteresting to you, but they might be interesting to us. Strike a good balance when it comes to blogging about things you dislike or the hardships about your mission field. Try to keep the blog in step with what you are doing... what I mean is, if you only post when you go away for a sightseeing break, it will appear as if that is all you do. Give the blog some priority--it will be one of the best forms of mass-communication you will have.

Just a few random thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Hi! This is Jamie Williams-your cousin! Just wanted you to know that I stopped by and have been thinking about you guys...you are doing a great job with your blog. Maybe I'll start one of my own!

Rex and Missy McDowell said...

Jamie,

You should create your own blog; it is really easy, and a great way to keep up with each other. Thanks for your kind comment.

Rex II

Steve Hight said...

Excellent comments and advice, Jon Plank! The only thing you should have told him in addition to what you said is that he should treat his elders/supervisors with respect on his blog (and elsewhere) so that people can tell that he's really starting to grow up. I mean, after all . . . .

Ellison Family said...

After blogging for a considerable amount of time, I would suggest that you check out my blog, newkienews.blogspot.com and refrain from doing anything you see there. If you follow this advice from a seasoned blogger, I am sure you will succeed.