Friday, January 9, 2009

A Shaky Day

Have you ever been standing on a chair trying to reach something on a high shelf when a 6.2 magnitude earthquake hits? If not, you should come down to Costa Rica, because that happened to me yesterday. This is a country known for its earthquakes, but we have been told that yesterday's quake was the strongest one this area has experienced in 150 years, with the epicenter being someplace around 50 miles from us. You probably can't imagine how scary it is to stand and literally watch your house walls rocking back and forth for 40 seconds. Thankfully no one in our immediate area was killed or hurt, but as I write the death toll is at 15 and there is a lot of structural damage in many areas of the country. We are praising the Lord for safety, but praying for those families who suffered loss.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for keeping us updated on your affairs in Costa Rica. When I read your most recent blog the circumstances in Lamentations 3 came to my mind. I was feeling separated from God leading up to our last Bible study in church when our pastor shared this chapter with us. As I was reading through I thought, "Now THIS guy knows what I'm feeling!" Then I read verse 18 and realized that only God can execute the level of love required to humble His children. I'm afraid that, as we near Jesus imminent return, your new neighbors are going to experience even more circumstances which will cause them to more aggressively seek hope. But then, praise God, that's exactly what you've been sent there to bring them. Thank you for being an edification through your faithful obedience and service to our Father. - Will Smith

Scott and Sarah said...

That would be scary!!! Glad you are all okay!
love you all

Steve Hight said...

As one gospel song says, "Oh how well do I remember . . ." The EQ we experienced lasted about 33 seconds, but was stronger and in the middle of the night. At least you could SEE!

At any rate you can be sure that we can empathize with you and trust that the Lord will help you in every way.