Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Portraits of Costa Rica #3"

One of the obvious needs found in Costa Rica is the large number of homeless people. We don't know how well we have it, do we?


We found this man sleeping against the gate of the church as we were heading out the door to the airport so that could catch my return flight to the US. Br. Orozco had to move his head before we could even open the gate. The man never woke up.

Perhaps this is the the most haunting snapshot that I have ever taken. This man was in the red-light district of San Jose picking a meal out of a garbage bag. I don't like to let people see me taking pictures like this, but thought that I could take one without him seeing me. He turned just as I snapped, and his look still grips me.

3 comments:

Beth Stetler said...

The look in the homeless man's eyes is haunting. People need the Lord, so desperately. We are blessed, and we take so much for granted, both spiritually and materially.

Anonymous said...

WOW! What interesting stories! It sounds like you had quite the trip. I'm glad you had a good one and made it back safely. Hope things are going well in the States as you prepare to go.

Kim M. said...

Wow, that brought tears. I am praying for y'all.