Monday, November 19, 2007

Critter Problems

I am sad to announce that we have a critter in our trailor! That's right, some creature has been sneaking into our kitchen at night and devouring anything that it finds in its path. I'm not sure what kind of a creature we are dealing with, but it is pretty big. The first night it came out it left a set of tracks across our stove (I know that is disgusting), and they sure weren't mouse tracks. My guess is that our critter is either a rat or a squirrel. To date it has eaten half a bag of chocolate chips, a pack of wheat thins, half of a bag of those noodle things that you put on salads, a good bit of bread, a biscuit, an undetermined portion of our flour, and chunks out of six potatoes. It has climbed up into our cabinet drawers, into our trash can which has a swinging lid, and onto our sink. We know it was on our sink because it carried off a sponge that Missy uses to do dishes. Now, it has started gnawing on a corner of our cabinets, leaving a nice little pile of wood chips on the floor in the morning. Needless to say, I am quite fed up with whatever it is!

Shortly after after it attacked the first time, I put out some rat poison. The crazy thing didn't even touch the poison for about five days. Now it has eaten poison on at least four different occasions, and still nothing is happening. I have looked at four different places for rat traps but haven't found any yet (they must not make rat traps in China, because Wal-Mart doesn't even have them). As soon as I find one, hopefully our creature will be history. I had been waiting on getting a trap because I kept thinking that the poison would do it's job, but it hasn't seemed to be working. So, I will let you know when this conflict is resolved.


I think this is it's entrance hole. I haven't covered it because I have been putting the poison by it. Notice the potato it drug into the corner.



I thought that this poison would work; it was expensive enough.


Ten days later, and it is still eating poison.


2 comments:

Steve Hight said...

Whatever the creature is, it has good taste (chocolate chips and Wheat Thins)!

Strings said...

You know, Rex, your brother perfected a pretty sure fire way of catching varmints- take a lot of sticky (chewed)bubble gum and slather peanut butter over top. Place the whole mess on a mouse trap and set it. Once whatever it is sinks his teeth into the gooey morsel he won't be able to get out. Benji caught a couple mice that way. However, if it's been snacking on poison for a while, it just might well be radioactive by now.......